Friday, December 7, 2012

Cheers to Having Goals and Staying on Track



I just completed my second week at my new job and I can finally say that I have settled in nicely. I am still thanking God for this new window of opportunity because I am one step closer to my dream of having my own classroom. Now that I have obtained this new position, I have created some new short term and long term goals, check them out below.

Short Term:
·         Complete Deferment papers (See Second Paragraph for more info)
·         Save money for the GRE.
·         Take the GRE
·         Choose a definite Master’s program
·         Apply for Graduate School


Long Term:
·         Continue to participate in Professional Development in my field.
·         Obtain a Teaching Position and Teach for 5 years to pay back this scholarship/working loan.
·         Start looking at Ph.D. Programs specifically counseling
·         Save Money
·         Lose Weight (Stop being Lazy. This is a constant struggle.)

I think those are good for now, I reserve the right to make changes as needed, lol. Now onto other pertinent information, this second loan. When I started my Undergraduate career, I was a nursing major and working at a rehabilitation hospital as a nurse’s assistant. After working in the hospital for 2 years and trying to pass the same Chemistry class 3 times, I decided that I hated Nursing, lol. To be truthful I actually started being honest with myself and came to the realization that although, I liked helping people, Nursing was not my passion. After much praying, I realized that I was needed in the field of Education because I love learning, teaching, and I just love to soak up knowledge. Besides kids love me and I might as well take advantage of itJ

 Long story short, I lost my Full scholarship because I was having trouble passing my classes as a nursing major, my first year of college I ended with a 2.2 gpa, it’s a C average, well below what I was used to making. I then switched to education and to help pay for the lack of my scholarship, I signed up for the MERR scholarship. This scholarship turns into a loan if I do not teach in Kentucky. Fast forward, to this whole dilemma of me not obtaining a teaching position and now having to deal with this second loan. Saints, pray that I am granted with a deferment of some sort, while I get my life together! And the church, said, AMEN!!  Also, I did do a complete turnaround as an education major, I regained my FULL scholarship the following year and I kept the MERR scholarship to help with my expenses. I also ended my undergraduate career with a 3.6 GPA and I graduated Cume Laude, just inches away from Magana Cume Laude but I digress. When I say that I went into beast mode to get back on top, I am not exaggerating! Go me!

Other than the stress of this loan deferment, I have been doing pretty well. I still feel just a little heartache when I realize that I don’t have my own classroom but I get over it so quickly. Who said this journey would be easy? It’s just a hard road but hard work pays off in the end and I must constantly remind myself that God wants me to travel down this road, it’s important to my success.

3 A Day Positive Rant:

·         I absolutely love my new job! The benefits alone make me want shout daily! I love the fact that I am working for my Alma Mater and that I can start school soon, pending my GRE status. Let us pray again! 

·         I am so thankful that the Director of my job saw my spark! She is giving me a chance to grow as an Educator and in an amazing work environment and with some great new kids and coworkers. 

·         Finally, I have come to terms with being an adult, lol. I see the blessing in being able to pay my bills on time and being broke after. I used to get very sad, just thinking about working to stay broke but now I am ok, with having everything I NEED and forgetting that I might not be able to afford the things that I WANT. #TEAR

Until the next time life has checked me.
-T

No comments:

Post a Comment